Thethe1 (stressed ᵺē; unstressed before a consonant ᵺə;
unstressed before a vowel ᵺē),USA pronunciation definite article.
- (used, esp. before a noun, with a specifying or particularizing effect, as opposed to the indefinite or generalizing force of the indefinite article a or an): the book you gave me; Come into the house.
- (used to mark a proper noun, natural phenomenon, ship, building, time, point of the compass, branch of endeavor, or field of study as something well-known or unique):the sun;
the past; the West.
- (used with or as part of a title): the Duke of Wellington; the Reverend John Smith.
- (used to mark a noun as indicating the best-known, most approved, most important, most satisfying, etc.): the skiing center of the U.S.; If you're going to work hard, now is the time.
- (used to mark a noun as being used generically): The dog is a quadruped.
- (used in place of a possessive pronoun, to note a part of the body or a personal belonging): He won't be able to play football until the leg mends.
- (used before adjectives that are used substantively, to note an individual, a class or number of individuals, or an abstract idea): to visit the sick; from the sublime to the ridiculous.
- (used before a modifying adjective to specify or limit its modifying effect): He took the wrong road and drove miles out of his way.
- (used to indicate one particular decade of a lifetime or of a century): the sixties; the gay nineties.
- (one of many of a class or type, as of a manufactured item, as opposed to an individual one): Did you listen to the radio last night?
- enough: He saved until he had the money for a new car. She didn't have the courage to leave.
- (used distributively, to note any one separately) for, to, or in each;
a or an: at one dollar the pound.
Nationalna•tion•al (nash′ə nl, nash′nəl),USA pronunciation adj.
- of, pertaining to, or maintained by a nation as an organized whole or independent political unit: national affairs.
- owned, preserved, or maintained by the federal government: a national wildlife refuge.
- peculiar or common to the whole people of a country: national customs.
- devoted to one's own nation, its interests, etc.;
patriotic: to stir up national pride.
- concerning or encompassing an entire nation: a national radio network.
- limited to one nation.
- a citizen or subject of a particular nation who is entitled to its protection: U.S. nationals living abroad.
- Often, nationals. a national competition, tournament, or the like: We're invited to Minneapolis for the nationals.
- a national company or organization.
Museummu•se•um (myo̅o̅ zē′əm),USA pronunciation n.
- a building or place where works of art, scientific specimens, or other objects of permanent value are kept and displayed.
Ofof1 (uv, ov; unstressed əv or, esp. before consonants, ə),USA pronunciation prep.
- (used to indicate distance or direction from, separation, deprivation, etc.): within a mile of the church; south of Omaha; to be robbed of one's money.
- (used to indicate derivation, origin, or source): a man of good family; the plays of Shakespeare; a piece of cake.
- (used to indicate cause, motive, occasion, or reason): to die of hunger.
- (used to indicate material, component parts, substance, or contents): a dress of silk; a book of poems; a package of cheese.
- (used to indicate apposition or identity): Is that idiot of a salesman calling again?
- (used to indicate specific identity or a particular item within a category): the city of Chicago; thoughts of love.
- (used to indicate possession, connection, or association): the king of France; the property of the church.
- (used to indicate inclusion in a number, class, or whole): one of us.
- (used to indicate the objective relation, the object of the action noted by the preceding noun or the application of a verb or adjective): the ringing of bells; He writes her of home; I'm tired of working.
- (used to indicate reference or respect): There is talk of peace.
- (used to indicate qualities or attributes): an ambassador of remarkable tact.
- (used to indicate a specified time): They arrived of an evening.
- [Chiefly Northern U.S.]before the hour of;
until: twenty minutes of five.
- on the part of: It was very mean of you to laugh at me.
- in respect to: fleet of foot.
- set aside for or devoted to: a minute of prayer.
- [Archaic.]by: consumed of worms.
Playplay (plā),USA pronunciation n.
- a dramatic composition or piece;
- a dramatic performance, as on the stage.
- exercise or activity for amusement or recreation.
- fun or jest, as opposed to seriousness: I said it merely in play.
- a pun.
- the playing, action, or conduct of a game: The pitcher was replaced in the fourth inning of play.
- the manner or style of playing or of doing something: We admired his fine play throughout the game.
- an act or instance of playing or of doing something: a stupid play that cost us the match.
- one's turn to play: Whose play is it?
- a playing for stakes;
- an attempt to accomplish something, often in a manner showing craft or calculation;
maneuver: They tried to buy up the stock in a takeover play.
- an enterprise or venture;
deal: an oil and drilling play.
- action, conduct, or dealing of a specified kind: fair play; foul play.
- action, activity, or operation: the play of fancy.
- brisk, light, or changing movement or action: a fountain with a leaping play of water.
- elusive change or movement, as of light or colors: the play of a searchlight against the night sky.
- a space in which something, as a part of a mechanism, can move.
- freedom of movement within a space, as of a part of a mechanism.
- freedom for action, or scope for activity: full play of the mind.
- attention in the press or other media;
dissemination as news: The birth of the panda got a big play in the papers.
- an act or instance of being broadcast: The governor's speech got two plays on our local station.
- bring into play, to put into motion;
cause to be introduced: New evidence has been brought into play in this trial.
- in or out of play, in or not in the state of being played during a game: The umpire says the ball was not in play.
- make a play for, [Informal.]
- to try to attract, esp. sexually: He made a play for his friend's girlfriend.
- to attempt to gain by impressing favorably: This ad will make a play for new consumer markets.
- to act the part of (a person or character) in a dramatic performance;
portray: to play Lady Macbeth.
- to perform (a drama, pantomime, etc.) on or as if on the stage.
- to act or sustain (a part) in a dramatic performance or in real life: to play the role of benefactor.
- to act the part or character of in real life: to play the fool; to play God.
- to give performances in, as a theatrical company does: to play the larger cities.
- to engage in (a game, pastime, etc.).
- to contend against in a game.
- to function or perform as (a specified player) in a game or competition: He usually plays left end.
- to employ (a piece of equipment, a player, etc.) in a game: I played my highest card.
- to use as if in playing a game, as for one's own advantage: He played his brothers against each other.
- to stake or wager, as in a game.
- to lay a wager or wagers on (something).
- to represent or imitate, as for recreation or in jest: to play cowboys and Indians.
- to perform on (a musical instrument).
- to perform (music) on an instrument.
- to cause (a phonograph, radio, recording, etc.) to produce sound or pictures: to play a tape; to play the radio.
- to do or perform: You shouldn't play tricks. Compromise plays an important part in marriage.
- to carry or put into operation;
act upon: to play a hunch.
- to cause to move or change lightly or quickly: to play colored lights on a fountain.
- to operate or cause to operate, esp. continuously or with repeated action: to play a hose on a fire.
- to allow (a hooked fish) to exhaust itself by pulling on the line.
- to display or feature (a news story, photograph, etc.), esp. prominently: Play the flood photos on page one.
- to exploit or trade in (an investment, business opportunity, stock, etc.).
- to exercise or employ oneself in diversion, amusement, or recreation.
- to do something in sport that is not to be taken seriously.
- to amuse oneself;
trifle (often fol. by with).
- to take part or engage in a game.
- to take part in a game for stakes;
- to conduct oneself or act in a specified way: to play fair.
- to act on or as if on the stage;
- to perform on a musical instrument.
- (of an instrument or music) to sound in performance: The strings are playing well this evening.
- (of a phonograph, radio, recording, etc.) to give forth sound: The radio played all night.
- to be performed or shown: What's playing at the movie theater around the corner?
- to be capable of or suitable for performance, as a television or dramatic script: We hope this scene will play well.
- [Informal.]to be accepted or effective;
fare: How will the senator's proposal play with the public?
- to move freely within a space, as a part of a mechanism.
- to move about lightly or quickly: The water of the fountain played in the air.
- to present the effect of such motion, as light or the changing colors of an iridescent substance: The lights played strangely over the faces of the actors.
- to operate continuously or with repeated action.
- [Informal.]to comply or cooperate: They wanted her to tell them what she knew about the plans, but she refused to play.
- come to play, [Informal.]to be disposed to play or participate in a manner reflecting a determination to win or succeed: We're a small new business, but we came to play.
- play along:
- to cooperate or concur;
- to pretend to cooperate or concur.
- play around, [Informal.]
- to behave in a playful or frivolous manner;
- to be sexually promiscuous.
- to be sexually unfaithful.
- play at:
- to pretend interest in: It's obvious that you're just playing at fishing for my sake.
- to do something without seriousness: He is merely playing at being a student.
- play back, to play (a recording, esp. one newly made): Play it back and let's hear how I sound.
- play ball. See ball 1 (def. 17).
- play both ends against the middle, to maneuver opposing groups in order to benefit oneself.
- play by ear, to play (music or a musical instrument) without printed music, as by memory of what one has heard or by unschooled musical instinct.
- play down, to treat as of little importance;
belittle: He has consistently played down his own part in the successful enterprise.
- played out:
- out of fashion;
hackneyed: New styles in clothing are soon played out in New York.
- used up;
finished: The original tires were played out and had to be replaced.
- play fast and loose, to act in an irresponsible or inconsiderate manner, esp. to employ deception to gain one's ends: to play fast and loose with someone's affections.
- play for time, to prolong something in order to gain an advantage;
forestall an event or decision: Their maneuvering at the conference was obviously calculated to play for time.
- play hardball. See hardball (def. 2).
- play into the hands of, to act in such a way as to give an advantage to (someone, esp. an opponent): If you lose your temper when he insults you, you will be playing right into his hands.Also, play into (someone's) hands.
- play it by ear, to improvise, esp. in a challenging situation when confronted by unknown factors: If you can't come up with a plan, we'll just have to play it by ear.
- play off:
- [Sports.]to play an extra game or round in order to settle a tie.
- [Sports.]to engage in an elimination game or games after the regular season is over in order to determine the champion.
- to set (one person or thing) against another, usually for one's own gain or advantage: The children could usually get what they wanted by playing one parent off against the other.
- play one's cards. See card 1 (def. 17).
- play on or upon, to exploit, as the feelings or weaknesses of another;
take selfish advantage of: She would never think of playing on the good nature of others.
- play out:
- to bring to an end;
- to use up;
exhaust: to play out one's supplies.
- to reel or pay out, as a rope, line, etc.
- play politics. See politics (def. 8).
- play possum. See possum (def. 2).
- play second fiddle. See second fiddle (def. 1).
- play the field. See field (def. 26).
- play the game. See game 1 (def. 18).
- play up, to emphasize the importance of;
highlight or publicize: The schools are playing up their science programs.
- play up to, [Informal.]to attempt to impress in order to gain someone's favor: Students who too obviously play up to their teachers are usually disliked by their classmates.
- play with a full deck. See deck (def. 19).
- play with fire. See fire (def. 27).
- play with oneself, [Informal.]to masturbate.
Hi guys, this image is about The Strong | National Museum Of Play ( Backyard Video Games #5). It is a image/jpeg and the resolution of this picture is 911 x 796. It's file size is just 174 KB. If You decided to save It to Your computer, you have to Click here. You also also download more pictures by clicking the following photo or read more at this article: Backyard Video Games.
The The Strong | National Museum Of Play ( Backyard Video Games #5) isn't divided in the house ang lovely garden design. Beyond spreading plant you know, enhance the yard! Backyard decoration also contains design a space at the center of the park to get a variety of functionality, of the cottage garden. We begin to see the patterns. Have a pad while in the backyard will be pleasant.
Many things can be carried out there, using the family, while savoring the day atmosphere and inexperienced parks, to just relax having a walk around the lodge we are able to do taking a split. The The Strong | National Museum Of Play ( Backyard Video Games #5) can be created using timber or brick. It could be constructed on the floor or along with the pine. In-general, the bungalow garden features a small-size.
Inside the chair's former backyard decoration exclusive garden can be seen for creativity homemade. Increase even or the logcabin a residence, typically takes place in the nation's topic. Preserving candor and character and freshness' different parts, a log lodge must offer peace and serenity. Most accommodations sign situated in the hamlet nations.