EnglishEng•lish (ing′glish or, often, -lish),USA pronunciation adj.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of England or its inhabitants, institutions, etc.
- belonging or pertaining to, or spoken or written in, the English language.
- the people of England collectively, esp. as distinguished from the Scots, Welsh, and Irish.
- the Germanic language of the British Isles, widespread and standard also in the U.S. and most of the British Commonwealth, historically termed Old English (c450–c1150), Middle English (c1150–c1475), and Modern English (after c1475). Abbr.: E
- English language, composition, and literature as offered as a course of study in school.
- a specific variety of this language, as that of a particular time, place, or person: American English; Shakespearean English.
- simple, straightforward language: What does all that jargon mean in English?
- (sometimes l.c.)
- a spinning motion imparted to a ball, esp. in billiards.
- See body English.
- a 14-point type of a size between pica and Columbian.
- a grade of calendered paper having a smooth matte finish.
- to translate into English: to English Euripides.
- to adopt (a foreign word) into English;
- (sometimes l.c.) to impart English to (a ball).
Shortshort (shôrt),USA pronunciation adj., -er, -est, adv., n., v.
- having little length;
- having little height;
not tall: a short man.
- extending or reaching only a little way: a short path.
- brief in duration;
not extensive in time: a short wait.
- brief or concise, as writing.
- rudely brief;
hurting: short behavior.
- low in amount;
scanty: short rations.
- not reaching a point, mark, target, or the like;
not long enough or far enough.
- below the standard in extent, quantity, duration, etc.: short measure.
- having a scanty or insufficient amount of (often fol. by in or on): He was short in experience.
- being below a necessary or desired level;
lacking: The office is short due to winter colds and flu.
- (of pastry and the like) crisp and flaky;
breaking or crumbling readily from being made with a large proportion of butter or other shortening.
- (of dough) containing a relatively large amount of shortening.
- (of metals) deficient in tenacity;
- (of the head or skull) of less than ordinary length from front to back.
- not possessing at the time of sale commodities or stocks that one sells.
- noting or pertaining to a sale of commodities or stocks that the seller does not possess, depending for profit on a decline in prices.
- lasting a relatively short time: "Bit'' has a shorter vowel-sound than "bid'' or "bead.''
- belonging to a class of sounds considered as usually shorter in duration than another class, as the vowel of but as compared to that of bought, and in many languages serving as a distinctive feature of phonemes, as the a in German Bann in contrast with the ah in Bahn, or the t in Italian fato in contrast with the tt in fatto (opposed to long).
- having the sound of the English vowels in bat, bet, bit, hot, but, and put, historically descended from vowels that were short in duration.
- (of a syllable in quantitative verse) lasting a relatively shorter time than a long syllable.
- (of an alcoholic drink) small: a short drink.
- [Chiefly Brit.](of whiskey) undiluted;
- (of clay) not plastic enough to be modeled.
- [Ropemaking.]hard (def. 39).
- short and sweet:
- pleasantly brief.
- pertinent: We're in a hurry, so make it short and sweet.
- short for, being a shorter form of;
abbreviated to: "Phone'' is short for "telephone.''
- short of:
- less than;
- inadequately supplied with (money, food, etc.).
- without going to the length of;
excluding: Short of murder, there is nothing he wouldn't have tried to get what he wanted.
- make short work of. See work (def. 16).
- abruptly or suddenly: to stop short.
- on the near side of an intended or particular point: The arrow landed short.
- with the hands higher on the handle of the bat than usual: He held the bat short and flied out.
- in a fielding position closer to home plate than usual.
- come or fall short:
- to fail to reach a particular standard.
- to prove insufficient;
be lacking: Her funds fell short, and she had to wire home for help.
- cut short, to end abruptly;
terminate: Her nap was cut short by a loud noise from outside.
- run short, to be in insufficient supply: My patience is running short.
- sell short:
- [Stock Exchange.]to sell stocks or the like without having them in one's actual possession at the time of the sale.
- to disparage or underestimate: Don't sell Tom short; he's really an excellent engineer.
- something that is short.
- that which is deficient or lacking.
- the sum and substance of a matter;
gist (usually prec. by the).
- trousers, knee-length or shorter.
- short pants worn by men as an undergarment.
- knee breeches, formerly worn by men.
- [Finance.]short-term bonds.
- [Mining.]crushed ore failing to pass through a given screen, thus being of a larger given size than a specific grade. Cf. fine (def. 29a).
- remnants, discards, or refuse of various cutting and manufacturing processes.
- a size of garment for men who are shorter than average: He wears a 42 short.
- a garment, as a suit or overcoat, in such a size.
- a shot that strikes or bursts short of the target.
- See short circuit.
- [Pros.]a short sound or syllable.
- [Baseball.]shortstop (def. 1).
- [Motion Pictures.]See short subject.
- [Finance.]See short seller.
- a deficiency or the amount of a deficiency.
- [Chiefly Brit.]a small drink of straight whiskey;
- for short, by way of abbreviation: Her name is Patricia, and she's called Pat for short.
- in short:
- in summary.
- in few words;
in brief: In short, this has been rather a disappointing day.
- to cause a short circuit in.
- to cheat by giving less than is expected or deserved;
- to short-circuit.
Matmat1 (mat),USA pronunciation n., v., mat•ted, mat•ting.
- a piece of fabric made of plaited or woven rushes, straw, hemp, or similar fiber, or of some other pliant material, as rubber, used as a protective covering on a floor or other surface, to wipe the shoes on, etc.
- a smaller piece of material, often ornamental, set under a dish of food, a lamp, vase, etc.
- the padded canvas covering the entire floor of a wrestling ring, for protecting the contestants from injury when thrown.
- a thick pad placed on the floor for the protection of tumblers and others engaged in gymnastic sports.
- a thickly growing or thick and tangled mass, as of hair or weeds.
- a sack made of matting, as for coffee or sugar.
- a slablike footing of concrete, esp. one for an entire building.
- a heavy mesh reinforcement for a concrete slab.
- go to the mat, to contend or struggle in a determined or unyielding way: The President is going to the mat with Congress over the proposed budget cuts.
- to cover with or as if with mats or matting.
- to form into a mat, as by interweaving.
- to become entangled;
form tangled masses.
Bowlsbowl1 (bōl),USA pronunciation n.
- a rather deep, round dish or basin, used chiefly for holding liquids, food, etc.
- the contents of a bowl: a bowl of tomato soup.
- a rounded, cuplike, hollow part: the bowl of a pipe.
- a large drinking cup.
- festive drinking;
- any bowl-shaped depression or formation.
- an edifice with tiers of seats forming sides like those of a bowl, having the arena at the bottom;
- Also called bowl game. a football game played after the regular season by teams selected by the sponsors of the game, usually as representing the best from a region of the country: the Rose Bowl.
- [Typography.]a curved or semicircular line of a character, as of a, d, b, etc.
- to give (a floor) a gentle inclination on all sides toward some area, as a stage or platform.
Nationalna•tion•al (nash′ə nl, nash′nəl),USA pronunciation adj.
- of, pertaining to, or maintained by a nation as an organized whole or independent political unit: national affairs.
- owned, preserved, or maintained by the federal government: a national wildlife refuge.
- peculiar or common to the whole people of a country: national customs.
- devoted to one's own nation, its interests, etc.;
patriotic: to stir up national pride.
- concerning or encompassing an entire nation: a national radio network.
- limited to one nation.
- a citizen or subject of a particular nation who is entitled to its protection: U.S. nationals living abroad.
- Often, nationals. a national competition, tournament, or the like: We're invited to Minneapolis for the nationals.
- a national company or organization.
Hello folks, this attachment is about English Short Mat Bowls National Championships ( English Short Mat Bowls Nice Ideas #2). It is a image/jpeg and the resolution of this image is 1114 x 627. It's file size is only 111 KB. If You decided to download It to Your laptop, you may Click here. You may also see more photos by clicking the picture below or read more at this post: English Short Mat Bowls.
Your kitchen style while in the type. Glass' use here is supposed to manage to manage the temperature during winter. Glass could be popped to supply fresh-air to the room, while summer happens. Surfaces utilising the same content with the external patio for there to be a frequent thread involving the English Short Mat Bowls with fresh kitchen.
If you like the setting of the warm home as well as serene using an antique that is slight sense with probably a fantastic option for you personally. To have this style you make use of a wooden ground and can make kitchen units that are inexpensive an election which have pattern has a design. Warmer will be felt by applying pastel colors brown with touches of wood and white shades will make supper in the home together with your household.
Wish to provide the setting is cozy and hot, the furniture includes a smooth bright coloring as his concluding. Modern equipment is also lovely this one is complemented by home design. Similarly with up-lighting to illuminate the room through the night.