EnglishEng•lish (ing′glish or, often, -lish),USA pronunciation adj.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of England or its inhabitants, institutions, etc.
- belonging or pertaining to, or spoken or written in, the English language.
- the people of England collectively, esp. as distinguished from the Scots, Welsh, and Irish.
- the Germanic language of the British Isles, widespread and standard also in the U.S. and most of the British Commonwealth, historically termed Old English (c450–c1150), Middle English (c1150–c1475), and Modern English (after c1475). Abbr.: E
- English language, composition, and literature as offered as a course of study in school.
- a specific variety of this language, as that of a particular time, place, or person: American English; Shakespearean English.
- simple, straightforward language: What does all that jargon mean in English?
- (sometimes l.c.)
- a spinning motion imparted to a ball, esp. in billiards.
- See body English.
- a 14-point type of a size between pica and Columbian.
- a grade of calendered paper having a smooth matte finish.
- to translate into English: to English Euripides.
- to adopt (a foreign word) into English;
- (sometimes l.c.) to impart English to (a ball).
Shortshort (shôrt),USA pronunciation adj., -er, -est, adv., n., v.
- having little length;
- having little height;
not tall: a short man.
- extending or reaching only a little way: a short path.
- brief in duration;
not extensive in time: a short wait.
- brief or concise, as writing.
- rudely brief;
hurting: short behavior.
- low in amount;
scanty: short rations.
- not reaching a point, mark, target, or the like;
not long enough or far enough.
- below the standard in extent, quantity, duration, etc.: short measure.
- having a scanty or insufficient amount of (often fol. by in or on): He was short in experience.
- being below a necessary or desired level;
lacking: The office is short due to winter colds and flu.
- (of pastry and the like) crisp and flaky;
breaking or crumbling readily from being made with a large proportion of butter or other shortening.
- (of dough) containing a relatively large amount of shortening.
- (of metals) deficient in tenacity;
- (of the head or skull) of less than ordinary length from front to back.
- not possessing at the time of sale commodities or stocks that one sells.
- noting or pertaining to a sale of commodities or stocks that the seller does not possess, depending for profit on a decline in prices.
- lasting a relatively short time: "Bit'' has a shorter vowel-sound than "bid'' or "bead.''
- belonging to a class of sounds considered as usually shorter in duration than another class, as the vowel of but as compared to that of bought, and in many languages serving as a distinctive feature of phonemes, as the a in German Bann in contrast with the ah in Bahn, or the t in Italian fato in contrast with the tt in fatto (opposed to long).
- having the sound of the English vowels in bat, bet, bit, hot, but, and put, historically descended from vowels that were short in duration.
- (of a syllable in quantitative verse) lasting a relatively shorter time than a long syllable.
- (of an alcoholic drink) small: a short drink.
- [Chiefly Brit.](of whiskey) undiluted;
- (of clay) not plastic enough to be modeled.
- [Ropemaking.]hard (def. 39).
- short and sweet:
- pleasantly brief.
- pertinent: We're in a hurry, so make it short and sweet.
- short for, being a shorter form of;
abbreviated to: "Phone'' is short for "telephone.''
- short of:
- less than;
- inadequately supplied with (money, food, etc.).
- without going to the length of;
excluding: Short of murder, there is nothing he wouldn't have tried to get what he wanted.
- make short work of. See work (def. 16).
- abruptly or suddenly: to stop short.
- on the near side of an intended or particular point: The arrow landed short.
- with the hands higher on the handle of the bat than usual: He held the bat short and flied out.
- in a fielding position closer to home plate than usual.
- come or fall short:
- to fail to reach a particular standard.
- to prove insufficient;
be lacking: Her funds fell short, and she had to wire home for help.
- cut short, to end abruptly;
terminate: Her nap was cut short by a loud noise from outside.
- run short, to be in insufficient supply: My patience is running short.
- sell short:
- [Stock Exchange.]to sell stocks or the like without having them in one's actual possession at the time of the sale.
- to disparage or underestimate: Don't sell Tom short; he's really an excellent engineer.
- something that is short.
- that which is deficient or lacking.
- the sum and substance of a matter;
gist (usually prec. by the).
- trousers, knee-length or shorter.
- short pants worn by men as an undergarment.
- knee breeches, formerly worn by men.
- [Finance.]short-term bonds.
- [Mining.]crushed ore failing to pass through a given screen, thus being of a larger given size than a specific grade. Cf. fine (def. 29a).
- remnants, discards, or refuse of various cutting and manufacturing processes.
- a size of garment for men who are shorter than average: He wears a 42 short.
- a garment, as a suit or overcoat, in such a size.
- a shot that strikes or bursts short of the target.
- See short circuit.
- [Pros.]a short sound or syllable.
- [Baseball.]shortstop (def. 1).
- [Motion Pictures.]See short subject.
- [Finance.]See short seller.
- a deficiency or the amount of a deficiency.
- [Chiefly Brit.]a small drink of straight whiskey;
- for short, by way of abbreviation: Her name is Patricia, and she's called Pat for short.
- in short:
- in summary.
- in few words;
in brief: In short, this has been rather a disappointing day.
- to cause a short circuit in.
- to cheat by giving less than is expected or deserved;
- to short-circuit.
Matmat1 (mat),USA pronunciation n., v., mat•ted, mat•ting.
- a piece of fabric made of plaited or woven rushes, straw, hemp, or similar fiber, or of some other pliant material, as rubber, used as a protective covering on a floor or other surface, to wipe the shoes on, etc.
- a smaller piece of material, often ornamental, set under a dish of food, a lamp, vase, etc.
- the padded canvas covering the entire floor of a wrestling ring, for protecting the contestants from injury when thrown.
- a thick pad placed on the floor for the protection of tumblers and others engaged in gymnastic sports.
- a thickly growing or thick and tangled mass, as of hair or weeds.
- a sack made of matting, as for coffee or sugar.
- a slablike footing of concrete, esp. one for an entire building.
- a heavy mesh reinforcement for a concrete slab.
- go to the mat, to contend or struggle in a determined or unyielding way: The President is going to the mat with Congress over the proposed budget cuts.
- to cover with or as if with mats or matting.
- to form into a mat, as by interweaving.
- to become entangled;
form tangled masses.
Bowlsbowl1 (bōl),USA pronunciation n.
- a rather deep, round dish or basin, used chiefly for holding liquids, food, etc.
- the contents of a bowl: a bowl of tomato soup.
- a rounded, cuplike, hollow part: the bowl of a pipe.
- a large drinking cup.
- festive drinking;
- any bowl-shaped depression or formation.
- an edifice with tiers of seats forming sides like those of a bowl, having the arena at the bottom;
- Also called bowl game. a football game played after the regular season by teams selected by the sponsors of the game, usually as representing the best from a region of the country: the Rose Bowl.
- [Typography.]a curved or semicircular line of a character, as of a, d, b, etc.
- to give (a floor) a gentle inclination on all sides toward some area, as a stage or platform.
Nicenice (nīs),USA pronunciation adj., nic•er, nic•est.
delightful: a nice visit.
- amiably pleasant;
kind: They are always nice to strangers.
- characterized by, showing, or requiring great accuracy, precision, skill, tact, care, or delicacy: nice workmanship; a nice shot; a nice handling of a crisis.
- showing or indicating very small differences;
minutely accurate, as instruments: a job that requires nice measurements.
- minute, fine, or subtle: a nice distinction.
- having or showing delicate, accurate perception: a nice sense of color.
- refined in manners, language, etc.: Nice people wouldn't do such things.
decorous: a nice girl.
- suitable or proper: That was not a nice remark.
- carefully neat in dress, habits, etc.
- (esp. of food) dainty or delicate.
- having fastidious, finicky, or fussy tastes: They're much too nice in their dining habits to enjoy an outdoor barbecue.
- [Obs.]coy, shy, or reluctant.
- make nice, to behave in a friendly, ingratiating, or conciliatory manner.
- nice and, sufficiently: It's nice and warm in here.
Looklook (lŏŏk),USA pronunciation v.i.
- to turn one's eyes toward something or in some direction in order to see: He looked toward the western horizon and saw the returning planes.
- to glance or gaze in a manner specified: to look questioningly at a person.
- to use one's sight or vision in seeking, searching, examining, watching, etc.: to look through the papers.
- to tend, as in bearing or significance: Conditions look toward war.
- to appear or seem to the eye as specified: to look pale.
- to appear or seem to the mind: The case looks promising.
- to direct attention or consideration: to look at the facts.
- to have an outlook or afford a view: The window looks upon the street.
- to face or front: The house looks to the east.
- to give (someone) a look: He looked me straight in the eye.
- to have an appearance appropriate to or befitting (something): She looked her age.
- to appear to be;
look like: He looked a perfect fool, coming to the party a day late.
- to express or suggest by looks: to look one's annoyance at a person.
- [Archaic.]to bring, put, etc., by looks.
- look after:
- to follow with the eye, as someone or something moving away: She looked after him as he walked toward the train station.
- to pay attention to;
concern oneself with: to look after one's own interests.
- to take care of;
minister to: to look after a child.
- look back, to review past events;
return in thought: When I look back on our school days, it seems as if they were a century ago.
- look daggers, to look at someone with a furious, menacing expression: I could see my partner looking daggers at me.
- look down on or upon, to regard with scorn or disdain;
have contempt for: They look down on all foreigners.
- look down one's nose at, to regard with an overbearing attitude of superiority, disdain, or censure: The more advanced students really looked down their noses at the beginners.
- look for:
- to seek;
search for: Columbus was looking for a shorter route to India when he discovered America.
- to anticipate;
expect: I'll be looking for you at the reception.
- look forward to, to anticipate with eagerness or pleasure: I always look forward to your visits.
- look in:
- Also, look into. to look briefly inside of: Look in the jar and tell me if any cookies are left.
- Also, look in on. to visit (a person, place, etc.) briefly: I'll look in some day next week.
- look into, to inquire into;
examine: The auditors are looking into the records to find the cause of the discrepancy.
- look on or upon:
- to be a spectator;
watch: The crowd looked on at the street brawl.
- to consider;
regard: They look upon gambling as sinful.
- look out:
- to look to the outside, as from a window or a place of observation: From her office window, she could look out over the bustling city.
- to be vigilant or on guard: Look out, there are dangers ahead.
- to afford a view;
face: The room looks out on the garden.
- look out for, to take watchful care of;
be concerned about: He has to look out for his health.
- look over, to examine, esp. briefly: Will you please look over my report before I submit it?
- look sharp:
- to be alert and quick: If you want to get ahead, you must look sharp.
- Also, look slippy. to hurry: You'd better look sharp! It's getting late.
- look to:
- to direct one's glance or gaze to: If you look to your left, you can see the Empire State Building.
- to pay attention to: Look to your own affairs and stay out of mine.
- to direct one's expectations or hopes to: We look to the day when world peace will be a reality.
- to regard with expectation and anticipation: We look to the future and greater advances in science and technology.
- look up:
- to direct the eyes upward;
raise one's glance: The other guests looked up as she entered the room.
- to become better or more prosperous;
improve: Business is looking up.
- to search for, as an item of information, in a reference book or the like: Look up the answer in the encyclopedia.
- to seek out, esp. to visit: to look up an old friend.
- [Naut.](of a sailing ship) to head more nearly in the direction of its destination after a favoring change of wind.
- look up to, to regard with admiration or respect;
esteem: A boy needs a father he can look up to.
- the act of looking: a look of inquiry.
- a visual search or examination.
- the way in which a person or thing appears to the eye or to the mind;
aspect: He has the look of an honest man. The tablecloth has a cheap look.
- an expressive glance: to give someone a sharp look.
- general aspect;
appearance: to like the looks of a place.
- attractive, pleasing appearance.
Countycoun•ty1 (koun′tē),USA pronunciation n., pl. -ties.
- the largest administrative division of a U.S. state: Miami, Florida, is in Dade County.
- one of the chief administrative divisions of a country or state, as in Great Britain and Ireland.
- one of the larger divisions for purposes of local administration, as in Canada and New Zealand.
- the territory of a county, esp. its rural areas: We farmed out in the county before moving to town.
- the inhabitants of a county: It was supposed to be a secret, but you told the whole county.
- the domain of a count or earl.
Hello guys, this picture is about English Short Mat Bowls Nice Look #4 Inter County Championship. This attachment is a image/jpeg and the resolution of this picture is 819 x 614. It's file size is just 72 KB. Wether You ought to download This photo to Your computer, you should Click here. You may also see more pictures by clicking the photo below or see more at this post: English Short Mat Bowls.
Farming is really a fun exercise to relax. Just how to select English Short Mat Bowls became one of gardening's essential areas. Additionally, presently there are shades and several kinds of container distributed on the market, making the selection procedure could be more thrilling and baffling. Thus, before picking a container that is appropriate to get a variety of crops in the house, ensure that you have recognized the following methods.
More than only a place pot, to plant can also serve as design. Collection of the pot that is proper may enhance the home's splendor. Conversely, when the size of the pot you decide on is too large, lots of vitamins that WOn't be attained by the sources, so there'll infact maintain useless.
Additional herbs as possible select are Sansevieria. you must choose a distinct box because of the dimension that is Sansevieria that is greater, although therapy is similar to a cactus. Whichever container you decide on, try and make sure that it's a drainage hole at the bottom. Container putting locations become moist and muddy, inducing the beginning of root rot can be led by stagnant water in a pot. When possible, please also select English Short Mat Bowls Nice Look #4 Inter County Championship which have legs for discharge that is smooth.
It can possibly make the roots to rot since the underside moist and of the box can clog. Furthermore, note also the region you will employ to place the box. If that is unlikely to become confined, in order to conserve place, you can look at to utilize a hanging pot.
You're those types of who tend rarely and to be busy spend time in the home? Don't allow it to be like an obstacle to possess crops at home. But, obviously, because it is influential when it comes to choosing a English Short Mat Bowls Nice Look #4 Inter County Championship, you've to get the proper seed. Better use of exotic flowers for preservation is not too difficult should you be those types of who rather occupied.
And that means you don't need too much attention to it, cactus, like, only takes a tiny water in their attention. Generally, cacti are sold in dimensions that were modest so you can pick a small container anyway. Pick a coloring pot that suits the entire design concept of one's home.